The Yukon Invasive Species Council (YISC) was formed on December 18, 2009. Previously, the council existed as an ad-hoc committee, formed in 2004.
As defined in the YISC constitution, the purposes of the Council are:
- To coordinate invasive species management in Yukon.
- To prevent the introduction and spread of invasive species in Yukon.
- To inform, educate and advise the public and professionals about invasive species
and their risk to ecosystems and economies through activities such as workshops,
seminars, and newsletters.
- To collaborate with other jurisdictions on invasive species issues.
- To encourage, promote and support research on invasive species that will
contribute to the achievement of the social and economic goals of the people of
The YISC strategic plan is developed to:
- Improve territory-wide guidance on invasive species management;
- Complement, support and develop ongoing activities in invasive species management
- Protect Yukon’s environment and economy by minimizing the negative impacts caused
by the introduction, establishment and spread of invasive species.
- Establish a base for further development of the council by prioritizing and organizing actions for the next five years
View the Strategic Plan 2016 - 2020